We instruct students in both the content and test-taking strategies necessary for earning their best test scores on standardized tests.
Elementary/Middle School Students
Georgia State Test Preparation - CRCT (Criterion-Referenced Competency Test)
The CRCT, which is the Georgia State Test is designed to measure how well students acquire the skills and knowledge described in the Georgia Performance Standards (GPS). The assessments yield information on academic achievement at the student, class, school, system, and state levels. This information is used to diagnose individual student strengths and weaknesses as related to the instruction of the Georgia Performance Standards.
Georgia law requires that all students in grades one through eight take the CRCT in the content areas of reading, English/language arts, and mathematics. Students in grades three through eight are also assessed in science and social studies. The CRCT only assesses the content standards outlined in the Georgia Performance Standards.
The CRCT is given in April.
- Sylvan offers customized CRCT Courses including CRCT Preparation and remediation classes.
Basic CRCT Prep courses include:
• Two(2) practice CRCTs (one diagnostic and one final test)
• 12 hours of CRCT Preparation SSAT (Secondary School Admission Test)
The Secondary School Admission Test (SSAT) is a multiple-choice aptitude test for students in grades 5-11.
The SSAT is designed for students in grades 5 through 11 and is administered on two levels:
• Lower (for students currently in grades 5-7)
• Upper (for students currently in grades 8-11
The test consists of verbal, quantitative (math) and reading comprehension sections.
The test includes a writing sample portion, which requires the student to respond to a topic statement. The essay is not graded, but a copy accompanies each SSAT score report that is sent to the requested school. Sylvan Offers:
• Customized SSAT prep program based on Sylvan Skills Assessment and student/parent consultation.
2009/2010 SSAT Dates
October 17, 2009
November 14, 2009
December 12, 2009
January 9, 2010
February 6, 2010
March 6, 2010
April 17, 2010
June 12, 2010 High School Students ACT
The ACT® test assesses high school students' general educational development and their ability to complete college-level work.
• The multiple-choice tests cover four skill areas: English, mathematics, reading, and science.
• The Writing Test, which is optional, measures skill in planning and writing a short essay. Sylvan offers:
Small group or individualized ACT Preparation Classes.
ACT Dates for 2009/2010 school year:
• December 12, 2009
• February 6, 2010
• June 12, 2010 EOCT (End of Course Test)
The Georgia End-of-Course Assessment program is comprised of the following eight content area assessments:
o Mathematics I: Algebra/Geometry/Statistics
o Mathematics II: Geometry/Algebra II/Statistics
• Social Studies
o United States History
o Economics/Business/Free Enterprise
o Physical Science
• English Language Arts
o Ninth Grade Literature and Composition
o American Literature and Composition Sylvan offers:
• Sylvan Learning Center equips students with the content ability and the test-taking skills and strategies necessary to pass the Georgia End of Course Test.
• Consultation with the student and parent are needed in order to properly customize the appropriate EOCT program. GHSWT (Georgia High School Writing Test)
Students in the eleventh grade participate in the Georgia High School Writing Test and must pass the GHSWT to earn a regular education diploma. Students are asked to produce a response to one on-demand persuasive writing prompt. The writing test requires students to produce a composition of no more than two pages on an assigned topic. The two-hour test administration includes 100 minutes of student writing time. The test is administered three times a year.
• Sylvan’s Advanced Writing Course will equip students with the skills necessary to pass the Georgia High School Writing Test.
• The Sylvan Learning Center/ Buckhead Vinings location will service high school students who are attending a high school in the Atlanta, Smyrna, Buckhead and Vinings areas. SAT
The SAT tests students' knowledge of reading, writing, and mathematics, including critical thinking skills which are required for academic success in college/
The SAT is typically taken by high school juniors and seniors. Each section of the SAT is scored on a scale of 200-800, with two writing subscores for multiple-choice questions and the essay. It is administered seven times a year.
Following are the remaining dates for the 2009/2010 school year.
- December 5, 2009
- January 23, 2010
- March 13, 2010
- May 1, 2010
- June 5, 2010
• Small Group SAT Preparation
o Three (3) practice SAT Tests—one test administered at the beginning of the SAT prep program, one administered at the half-way point, and one administered at the end of the SAT prep Program.
o Thirty (30) hours of small group instruction covering content review, and test-taking skills and strategies.
Small groups forming now for 2010 tests.
High School/Adult Students Basic Skills Test
Branches of the Armed Services along with governmental agencies require a Vocational Aptitude Battery test. Sylvan is prepared to provide remediation and/or refreshers for the content areas of the test as well as test-taking strategies to also aid in achieving the highest score possible. Sylvan offers:
• Customized instruction on the specific content areas of the test as well as test-taking strategies.
• Flexible daytime, evening and weekend scheduling.